INFLUENCES

My current personal scenario of being away from my homeland – Zambia, is reason for my keen interest and inquiry into this phenomena of the ‘Diaspora’. Conceptually I was inspired by Ricarda Mieth, a German conceptual artist that I collaborated with in 2013. Her employment of magnetism in her artworks led me to explore the prevailing forces that result in human displacement or migration. ‘We Feel Fine’ was another conceptual spring board for this investigation. ‘We Feel Fine’ is an online interactive platform by Sep Kamvar and Jonathan Harris which scours the internet for expressions of human emotions and displays its findings in visually dynamic representations. Thematically, I drew inspiration from John Beadle, a Bahamian artist who from time to time explores the trans-Atlantic forced migration of slaves from Africa to the Americas. One of his very ancestors was among those unfortunate slaves. Then there is Chen Chieh-Jen a Taiwanese artist whose video works critique the challenges and mistreatment experienced by emigrants in visa requirements and border protocols as they traverse through national frontiers.